Avidemux is open-source software for editing and processing video. It runs on a number of different operating systems including Linux.
Avidemux is a free video editor designed for simple cutting, filtering and encoding tasks. It supports many different types of video media, including AVI, DVD compatible MPEG files, MP4 and ASF, using a variety of codecs. Tasks can be automated using projects, job queue and powerful scripting capabilities.
Supported input formats:
AVI, OpenDML, MPEG, ASF, NuppelVideo, H.263(+), MPEG-4, QuickTime, 3GP, MP4, OGM, and Images
Supported output formats:
AVI (including H.264), MPEG, MPEG PS A+V, MPEG TS A+V, IGM, and MP4
Built-in decoders for video decoding predominately from the libavcodec library. Formats supported: Cinepak, DV, CRAM, FFV1, H.263, H.264, HuffYUV, MJPEG, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, MS MPEG-4, Raw RGB, Raw YV12, SVQ3, VP3, VP6F, WMV2, and WMV3
Audio codecs for decoding:
MP2, MP3, AC3, DCA, Vorbis, AMR Narrow Band, and AAC
Video codecs for encoding:
DVD, FFHuffYUV, FFV1, H.263, H.263+, HuffYUV, MJPEG, MPEG-4, Snow, VCD, SVCD, XVCD, x264, and Xvid
Audio codecs for encoding:
MP2, MP3, Vorbis, AAC, AC-3, WAV PCM, and LPCM
* WYSIWYG cutting and appending
* Bitrate calculator
* Muxing and demuxing of audio streams into and out of video files
* Specialist project system using the SpiderMonkey ECMAScript language for scripting in both GUI and console modes
* Project queueing system
* Subtitle processing support, including Optical Character Recognition, and hard subtitle VobSub.
* Large set of built-in filters
* Some multithreading capabilities